Friday, April 22, 2011

Weekend Update

Where to begin?!

This last weekend was amazing. After a few stressful weeks at work I was ready to take a few days off and headed to Arizona. I found my new home. I'm pretty sure Raina (my travel buddy) and I would move there in a heartbeat. It's such a beautiful place. But of course the love of my life hates the heat. And since it was 100 degrees the day I left, well, I don't think he'll be going there anytime soon. Boo.

Let's start off at the beginning of the weekend-or end of the week, however you'd like to look at it. We flew in Thursday morning and begin our little adventure. Our first stop was to meet John to get his and Rachael's mariage certificate. That was a weird few moments, at that point I was still in awe that the whole ceremony was happening. Long story short-a year ago, Rachael and John weren't the best of friends-more like two co-workers annoyed with each other. Amazing how things can change in a year. I honestly haven't met a couple more in love than these two. Oh, did I mention that John's base was three hours south of the airport-yep, 3 hours. Did I also mention we had to drive back to that same airport later that night to pick up another guest? Let's just say it was a long first day. Friday however made up for it. We woke up bright and early (still MN time for us apparently) and headed 2 hours north to Sedona. Raina and I were ooohh and aaahing over the scenery and Rachael kept saying "just wait, just wait-it gets better"

Once we got into Sedona, Rachael asked us to turn off onto a road so she could show us the whole reason she wanted the wedding there. She had always been talking about this little church they had visited and she loved it so much. After going up a winding road we all realized why she loved it. The Chapel of the Holy Cross. Google it. Enough said.

Saturday was a busy day but was also pretty relaxed. The wedding took place in the late afternoon and we celebrated into the night. I'll explain the day in more detail once I can post pictures. :)

Sunday we woke up and started our trip back into Phoenix. It didn't start off on a "good" foot only because we had to say goodbye to John. This would be the last time we'd see him before he leaves for Afganistan. I of course was an emotional wreck and could hardly say goodbye to him. That was the second time I'd cried over him in the last 24 hours. Saturday night his friends gave him and Rachael a very special gift. John recieved a pendant of St. Michael that he will wear and Rachael received a frame with the same prayer. "That way they would both have someone watching over the two of them." This is where Raina, Kelly and I exit the area as we can't hold back our tears any longer. Watching those boys and the way they care about each other is an amazing thing. I'm glad I was able to meet them and know that John will be in good hands while he is gone.

As some of you know Sunday was my birthday. Whoop whoop. Big 24. I was pretty sure it was going to be just like any other day. No big deal. Right? Wrong. I have to admit, it probably was one of the more exciting birthday's I have had in a long time. I guess it really started Saturday night in the parking lot of our hotel. It's always fun when you are serenaded by a bunch of intoxicated strangers :) About 10:30 Arizona time is when the Facebook messages started...that didn't stop til Sunday night. Sunday afternoon I was treated to lunch at In N' Out Burger-one of Britney Spears' favorites. Raina and I had planned on reinacting the famous shake scene from Britney. Raina would be the photographer and I would be Britney throwing the shake in her face. Raina insisted we did it but at last minute I chickened out since the parking lot was packed and the windows were right by us with everyone watching. Maybe next time. Rachael and Raina also insisted that I have a birthday cake. Apparently, it's not a birthday without cake. So we typed in Coldstone into the GPS and went on the hunt for one. Well, the first one was no longer so we had to type it in again. After probably 30 minutes of driving around in search of a silly birthday cake we finally found a Coldstone. We checked into the last hotel for the weekend and I got my cake (cupcake). But not without all 24 candles-23 in the cupcake and 1 that Rach used to light them all-she gave up on sticking that one in. Another round of Happy Birthday and I blew the candles out. Even though I was away from home I wouldn't have changed a minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment